The range of environmental issues facing companies has grown significantly – expanding from land development, waste management and permitting to include matters such as climate change, greenhouse gas concerns and carbon footprints.
The member firm lawyers that make up the Lex Mundi Environmental group have the broad expertise, deep resources and global reach that clients need to manage these issues, and to stay current with – even a step ahead of – ever-changing national and international regulations.
Through our exclusive network of lawyers from 160 top-tier law firms in more than 100 countries, we provide access to high-quality, focused advice and assistance that clients need to avoid environmental problems from the beginning; to solve problems if they should arise; and to identify new market opportunities when they emerge. Beyond that, our on-the-ground understanding of local governments, politics and laws ensures effective legal solutions worldwide.
The environmental background of Lex Mundi’s member firms is extensive, and includes:
- Land use development, redevelopment and planning
- Management of hazardous and nonhazardous materials
- Energy production
- Surface and groundwater issues
- Air emissions
- Greenhouse gas emission standards and credit opportunities
- Carbon trading and sequestration
- Biodiversity and endangered species
With our Environmental group, you can be assured of receiving responsive service for environmental issues that are local, state, regional, national or international in scope.
Experience and Areas of Expertise
- Appearing before regulatory agencies (e.g., the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Army Corps of Engineers, Fish & Wildlife Service and the European Chemicals Agency), as well as international, regional and local permitting and oversight agencies worldwide
- Prosecuting or defending claims or enforcement actions in all courts, involving governmental, business, citizen suit or private claims
- Working with legislators to enact helpful laws (and to defeat harmful ones)
- Providing start-to-finish assistance in finding, evaluating, financing, permitting and developing environmentally suitable projects, including environmental due diligence certification for such clients as environmental service industries, brownfield redevelopment, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, transportation, aquaculture, paper, timberland, commercial development, mining, and energy companies
- Advising clients on how to cost-effectively comply with complex and demanding environmental regulations
- Assisting clients to ensure that, when faced with litigation, their insurance companies provide meaningful defense and indemnification protections
- Advising that the appropriate environmental technologies are used in a focused and effective manner to achieve the client’s ultimate goals
Connections to Even More Knowledge, Skills and Services
When your legal needs move beyond environmental issues, lawyers in our network can connect you to the additional knowledge, experience, skills and services you might require from their full-service commercial law firms.