China is the third largest country in the world and is the world's most populous, with more than 1.35 billion people. Firmly committed to economic reform, China has experienced significant and rapid development since the opening-up of the economy in 1978. In 2010, China’s GDP surpassed Japan to be the second largest economy in the world. Major industries include mining and more processing, iron and steel, aluminum, coal, machinery, armaments, textiles and apparel, petroleum, cement, chemical, fertilizers, food processing, automobiles and other transportation equipment including rail cars and locomotives, ships, and aircraft; consumer products including footwear, toys, and electronics; telecommunications and information technology.
Lex Mundi in China
Lex Mundi provides coverage in China through its member firm, Jun He, a leading full-service law firm. The firm was one of the first private law firms established in the People’s Republic of China (“PRC”) and is now one of the largest PRC-based law firms with over 100 partners. The firm’s practice areas focus strongly on assisting foreign companies investing and doing business in China. Jun He’s clients are diverse and span many geographic regions and industries, including: banks; domestic and foreign government agencies; domestic enterprises; insurance companies; international organizations; investment banks; investment funds; and multinational companies. Over the years, the firm’s lawyers have served as PRC counsel in a number of landmark deals.
Representative Experience in China:
- Represented Hitachi Automotive System as its Chinese legal counsel for National Development and Reform Commission’s (NDRC) Antitrust Investigation on Auto Parts and Bearings. As a result of the joint efforts of the Client and Jun He, NDRC fully released the Client from any and all administrative penalties in this case.
- Advised Huazhu, the leading Chinese hotel operator (a.k.a. China Lodging Group Limited) to seal a strategic alliance with the world’s leading hotel brand Accor
- Advised listing by CITIC Limited of 9 Billion USD Medium-term Note Programme in December 2014; HSBC and UBS AG Hong Kong Branch acted as the Arrangers and Jun He as the PRC law counsel for the Arrangers and the Dealers.
- Acted as Chinese legal advisor in Techniplas’s acquisition of Plastics Technology Automotive and Industrial (A&I) Division of WICOR Holdings AG
- Acted as PRC counsel for the Joint Lead Managers of the Bank of Communications’ Issuance of 1.2 billion USD and 0.5 billion EUR Offshore Tier-2 Capital Bonds