With a population of 126 million people, Japan is the world's tenth most populous country. It has the world's third-largest economy by nominal GDP and the world's fourth-largest economy by purchasing power parity. The service sector accounts for three quarters of the gross domestic product and is also home to some of the largest and most technologically advanced producers of motor vehicles, electronics, machine tools, steel and nonferrous metals, ships, chemical substances, textiles, and processed foods.
Lex Mundi in Japan
Lex Mundi provides coverage in Japan through its member firm, Nishimura & Asahi, premier, full-service law firm covering all aspects of domestic and international business and corporate activity. With more than 450 Japanese and foreign lawyers, Nishimura & Asahi is the largest law firm in Japan. It employs over 500 support staff, including tax accountants and has one of the largest teams of paralegals in the country. The firm assists clients in all areas of legal services including highly specialized and complex areas of commercial law.
Representative Experience in Japan:
- Advised Suntory Holdings on its $16 billion acquisition of Beam
- Advised on KKR & Co's Acquisition of Goodpack
- Advised on Strategic partnership in the agricultural machinery field between Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd. and Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd
- Advised Citibank Japan Ltd. on the sale of its Retail Banking business
- Advised on the acquisition of Toll Holdings Limited by Japan Post Co., Ltd.