The Republic of Korea or commonly known as South Korea (“Korea”) has a market economy that ranks 11th in the world by nominal GDP and 13th by purchasing power parity. It is a developed country with a developed market and a high-income economy. Major industries include electronics, telecommunications, automobile production, chemicals, shipbuilding and construction.
Lex Mundi in Korea
Lex Mundi provides coverage in South Korea through its member firm, Lee & Ko. Lee & Ko is a leading, full service law firm in Korea with particular strengths in the areas of corporate and M&A (including foreign direct investment), finance and banking, tax and customs, antitrust and competition, labor and employment, international trade, real estate, construction, technology media and telecommunications, disputes (domestic and cross-border litigation and arbitration), and IP. The firm represents leading multinational corporations and domestic corporations as well as financial institutions on many of the largest and most complex matters involving Korea.
Representative Experience in Korea:
- Represented Samsung Electronics in its multi-jurisdictional dispute with Apple
- Represented Carlyle Group in its acquisition of ADT Caps
- Represented Consortium led by MBK partners, including PSP Investments in its acquisition of Homeplus (largest PE transaction in Korea)
- Represented eBay in its acquisition of Korean e-commerce company
- Represented Samsung and Lam Research in their opposition to the Applied Materials - Tokyo Electron merger
- Represented multinational and large Korean conglomerates in major Cartel/Abuse of Dominance Cases in Korea or involving Korean entities