Macau is one of the special administrative regions of the People's Republic of China. With an estimated population of approximately 636,200 living in an area of 30.3 km2 (11.6 sq mi), it is the most densely populated region in the world. Macau is one of the world's richest cities. Its GDP per capita by purchasing power parity is higher than that of any country in the world, according to the World Bank. Macau's economy is based largely on tourism and the gaming industry. Other chief economic activities in Macau are export-geared textile and garment manufacturing, banking and other financial services. The clothing industry has provided about three quarters of export earnings, and the gaming, tourism and hospitality industry is estimated to contribute more than 50% of Macau's GDP, and 70% of Macau government revenue.
Lex Mundi in Macau
Lex Mundi provides coverage in Macau through its member firm, MdME, a leading full-service law firm. Its client portfolio includes some of the largest corporations operating in Macau in such diverse areas as gaming, real estate, banking, finance, construction, infrastructure, transportation, retail, intellectual property, technology and telecom. MdME is involved in the largest finance and infrastructure projects launched or announced in Macau over the last fifteen years (light rail, hospitality and residential projects, energy and incineration plants, HK-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge, casino developments and financings, etc.) and represents key-players in such projects.
Representative Experience in Macau:
- Global and regional banking, financial institutions and borrowers in major corporate and real estate financing.
- Concessionaries of public utilities and contractors and service providers in the performance of their contracts with the Macau Government.
- Numerous local and international construction companies in drafting of tender contracts for hotel and casino developments and other real estate properties.
- Infrastructure companies in Macau landmark projects, such as the Light Rail, the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge, Macau Waste and Incineration Plants, Macau Airport.
- Numerous companies in start-up and setting up Macau branch investment projects and corporate vehicles.
- Numerous companies in day-to-day business activities, concerning Macau corporate, tax, and employment and immigration laws.
- Gaming operators, sports betting, online and junket operators service, games and software providers and slot machines manufacturers, in all round gaming advice.
- Numerous clients in trademark and patent filings, litigation and trademark portfolio management.
- Clients in high-profile civil, criminal, arbitration and regulatory proceedings, related to debt recovery, insolvency, construction disputes, white-collar crime, AML infringements and etc.
- International real estate investors, developers and funds in acquisitions and disposals, involving hotels, residential properties, retail and mixed-developments.
- Clients on mergers, acquisitions and other corporate transactions across a range of different industries, corporations, financial institutions and private equity funds on a broad variety of corporate matters, including restructurings, debt issuance, regulatory compliance and strategic advice with Macau interests in relation to listings on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.