Algeria’s economy, which supports a population of 36.5 million, boasts strong natural resources, notably hydrocarbon and oil and gas. Other key industries include mining, agriculture and manufacturing. The country’s most important exports are petroleum and natural gas, and its main export partners are Brazil, Canada, France, Netherlands, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Arabic is the official language in Algeria; however, French as well as the Berber dialects: Kabylie Berber, Chaouia Berber, Mzab Berber and Tuareg Berber are also spoken. Algeria operates under civil law.
Lex Mundi in Algeria
Lex Mundi provides coverage in Algeria through Gide Algeria, an office of Gide Loyrette Nouel, Lex Mundi member firm for France. Gide's team in Algiers includes practitioners of Algerian and foreign nationality who combine knowledge of law and business practices in Algeria with international expertise. The team advises international investors on the legal and tax aspects of their activities, in all business sectors and in all fields of business law, in particular in terms of acquisitions, privatizations and joint ventures.
Representative Experience in Algeria:
- Advising Renault on setting up a strategic partnership with the SNVI and the NIF to establish a plant at Oued Tlelat. This is the first time an automotive manufacturer has a project to set up a manufacturing plant in Algeria
- Advising AXA on setting up two insurance companies in partnership with the Algerian National Investment Fund and the Bank of Algeria
- Advising AIG Infrastructure Funds LLC (AIG), an investments fund managed by Emerging Markets Partnership, on the sale of its minority stake in Orascom Télécom Algérie to Emirates International Investment Company (incorporated under UAE law), for an amount of USD 230 million. The investment of AIG in Orascom Télécom Algérie was the largest investment ever made by a private equity fund in North Africa (USD 45 million)
- Advising GlaxoSmithKline on the acquisition of two private companies active in the manufacturing and distribution of pharmaceutical products
- Advising the UAE company Aabar Investments PJS on its partnership with the Algerian Department of National Defence, Department of Industry and the Department for the Promotion of Investments, regarding the setting up of joint companies for the production of light vehicles