The east African nation of Kenya has a population of 42.7 million. Its economy relies on industries including small-scale consumer goods, agricultural products, horticulture, oil refining; aluminum, steel, lead; cement, commercial ship repair, and tourism. Its main exports are tea, horticultural products, coffee, petroleum products, fish and cement to countries including Uganda, Tanzania, Netherlands, United Kingdom, the United States, Egypt and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Lex Mundi in Kenya
Lex Mundi provides coverage in Kenya through Bowmans, the Lex Mundi member firm for South Africa. The firm’s lawyers work on Kenyan domestic matters and transactions, and on international and cross-border advisory mandates for a wide range of clients.
Representative Experience in Kenya:
- Advised Centum Investment Company Limited and Cassia Capital Partners Limited on their acquisition of a 45% stake in Platcorp Holdings Limited and the injection of additional capital by way of debt. Platcorp Holdings’ subsidiaries in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania are some of East Africa’s leading micro lending institutions
- Acted as legal counsel to Dimension Data Holdings plc on the legal and regulatory requirements applicable in its take-over offer for Access Kenya Group Limited which is listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange
- Advising UAP Holdings (a public company regulated by the Kenyan Capital Markets Authority) on its acquisition of a 60% stake in one of Tanzania’s leading general insurance companies, Century Insurance Company Limited. UAP Holdings made the acquisition by way of equity and debt through its wholly owned Mauritian subsidiary, UAP Africa
- Acquisition of the majority shareholding in Altech Kenya Data Networks and Altech Swift Global Kenya Limited, Altech Stream Rwanda, Infocom Uganda and Altech International Mauritius from Altech SA. The transaction involved a share swap arrangement with Altech SA acquiring a minority stake in Liquid Telecommunications in exchange. Local merger control and COMESA merger control approval needed
- Acted for Saham Finances in the acquisition of a controlling stake in Mercantile Insurance Company Limited through its subsidiary Colina Holdings. Colina Holdings has operations in North and Sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East and will acquire a controlling stake in Mercantile Insurance Company Limited
- Advised MIH East Africa, a subsidiary of Naspers Group (a Johannesburg Stock Exchange listed entity), on the regulatory landscape relating to the applicability of the National Payment System Act to electronic commerce trading platforms and e-money issuance as well as the establishment of an e-commerce shopping mall in Kenya