New Zealand is a culturally diverse nation with a population of approximately 4.62 million. It has a prosperous and developed market economy with an estimated gross domestic product (GDP) at purchasing power parity (PPP) per capita of roughly 65,482 NZD (41,555 USD). The tourism, agricultural, horticultural, forestry, mining and fishing industries play a fundamentally important role in New Zealand's economy, particularly in the export sector and in employment.
Lex Mundi in New Zealand
Lex Mundi provides coverage in New Zealand through its member firm, Simpson Grierson, one of the leading commercial law firms in country, as well as its largest. The firm has more than 340 staff, including 50 partners and more than 180 other lawyers, in its Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington offices. The firm regularly acts on complex cross-border transactions and has a significant portfolio of international clients.
Representative Experience in New Zealand:
- Advised Macquarie Capital on the $1.81 billion sale by Origin Energy of its 53.1% shareholding in Contact Energy.
- Acted as New Zealand legal counsel to Silicon Valley based venture capital firm Accel Partners on its 132.9 million NZD (100 million USD) strategic investment in Xero Limited, an NZX and ASX listed software company that develops cloud-based accounting software
- Bright Foods on the proposed purchase (by subsidiary company, Shanghai Maling Aquarius') of 50 per cent of Silver Fern Farms (New Zealand's biggest meat processor)
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia on the internalisation of the management of Kiwi Income Properties Trust, a $2.1 billion fund, and its sale of the management rights valued at approximately $70 million
- Acted for Canadian lime business Graymont in its purchase of McDonalds Lime from Holcim New Zealand and New Zealand Steel for an undisclosed sum and the purchase of Taylors Lime from Holcim