Strategically situated in the heart of the Asia/Pacific region, Taiwan is a natural gateway to East Asia. Taiwan owns competitive advantages in the IT industry and is one of the largest IT hardware manufacturing countries in the world. With a very competitive and mature financial services industry, it has attracted both domestic and international players. To further boost the economy, the Taiwan government is giving special support to developing six emerging biotechnology industries (green energy, medical care, high-end agriculture, travel and tourism, and cultural and creative enterprises), and four intelligent industries in cloud computing (smart electric vehicles, intelligent green buildings and invention, and patent commercialization).
Lex Mundi in Taiwan
Lex Mundi provides coverage in Taiwan through its member firm, Tsar & Tsai Law Firm, which has more than 80 professional fee earners specializing in various fields of law.
Representative Experience in Taiwan:
- Assisted Taiwan government (Department of Health) in obtaining an unprecedented compulsory license of a pharmaceutical patent to combat the Avian Influenza crisis (on a pro bono basis).
- Represented Taiwan CD-R industry to successfully challenge the patent pool of Philip, Sony and Taiyo Yuden before the Fair Trade Commission, leading the establishment of regulatory guidelines for patent licensing.
- Advised Jabil Circuit Inc. in its 30 billion TWD deal to buy-out 100% of Taiwan Green Point Enterprises Ltd, which marks a record high offer from a foreign enterprise for a local electronics firm.
- Advised MBK in its 1.3 billion USD deal to acquire majority control of China Network Systems, the largest acquisition of cable system operation in Taiwan.
- Represented Taiwan Yu-Tung Information Technology Co., Ltd. to obtain a favorable court judgement to revoke the bidding result in the National Freeway Bureau’s selection of service provider for Taiwan’s nationwide highway electronic toll collection system, which marks a leading case in BOT bidding dispute.