Akerman is a client-driven enterprise, recognized by Financial Times as among the most forward thinking law firms in the industry. We are known for our results in middle market M&A and complex disputes, and for helping clients achieve their most important business objectives in the financial services, real estate, and other dynamic sectors across the United States and Latin America.
We are ranked among the top 100 law firms in the United States, with a reach that extends across the Americas and globally. Assembling a hand-crafted team for every client engagement, we leverage our more than 700 lawyers and business professionals across 24 offices.
In Florida, we are consistently recognized as a market leader. Our firm has played a significant role in many of the state's transformational moments for nearly a century. We are ranked no. 1 in number of lawyers by Florida Trend magazine and distinguished by Chambers USA and other publications for our top ranked practices.
Areas of Practice
- Corporate - Advise public and private companies, including private equity funds, on M&A, capital market transactions, financings, and other transactional matters, with a strong focus on the middle market.
- Real Estate - Recognized for substantial experience in complex transactions, development and construction projects, economic development incentives, environmental matters, public-private initiatives and litigation.
- Litigation - Comprised of trial lawyers in offices throughout the United States. Recognized for experience in civil, criminal, and general commercial litigation, appellate, and international arbitration matters.
- Consumer Financial Services - Represent banks and non-bank consumer debt originators and servicers in the areas of litigation, compliance, regulatory enforcement, and repurchase and recovery litigation, with an emphasis on investigating and prosecuting origination fraud.
- Fraud and Recovery - Provide comprehensive fraud management services for clients in the financial services, insurance, healthcare, and retail sectors with a focus on fraud litigation, Ponzi schemes, and corporate theft.
- Bankruptcy and Reorganization - Serve as counsel or receiver in large bankruptcy filings. Also represent financial institutions and mortgage holders in workouts, and other secured creditors in Chapter 11 reorganizations.
- Intellectual Property - Represent clients worldwide in all areas of intellectual property law, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, and in the Internet.
- Healthcare - Recognized for experience in regulatory, risk management, and corporate matters. Represent hospitals and health systems, health insurers and managed care organizations, physician practice groups, pharmacy related organizations, and other industry stakeholders.
- Labor and Employment - Represent employers in every major sector with all aspects of labor relations and employment law compliance and litigation, workplace safety, immigration and non-compete and trade secret issues.
- Tax - Advise domestic and foreign corporations, individuals, and nonprofit institutions on international, federal, state and local tax issues, including tax planning, audit defense, tax litigation, controversy, and legislation.
- Government Affairs and Public Policy - Comprised of bi-partisan team of lawyers and public policy advisers experienced in appropriations, transportation, hospitality, healthcare, education, Native American affairs, and local government matters.
Three Brickell City Centre