Arendt combines the entire value chain of services dedicated to Asset Managers, Banks, Insurers, Public Institutions and Private Clients operating in Luxembourg.
- Legal & Tax
- Regulatory & Consulting
- Investor Services
Legal & Tax
We assist clients in structuring and running their business from a legal and tax standpoint across Luxembourg. Our teams directly serve international clients or work in close collaboration with foreign partner law firms.
Together with our regulatory consultants and investor services experts, we bridge the gap between legal/tax advice and its implementation. We deliver best-in-class services along our clients’ business life cycles.
The 450 legal experts of Arendt & Medernach are able to advise you in the following areas:
- Administrative Law, Property, Construction & Environment: The team advises clients on administrative law, urban planning, environmental issues, real estate transactions, domestic development and construction projects.
- Banking & Financial Services: The team advises Luxembourg and international credit institutions and other professionals also in the financial services sector (PFS) on regulatory matters, contractual arrangements and on their dealings with clients.
- Business Crime: The team advises domestic and international clients, in particular from the banking, financial, industrial and commercial sectors at all levels, on matters including: preliminary criminal risk assessments, avoidance of criminal risks, assistance during the investigation and prosecution phase, including international rogatory letters, plea bargaining (criminal settlement), assistance during criminal trials and cross-border coordination in criminal cases with international ramifications
- Commercial & Insolvency: The team advises clients on general commercial matters. They also advise creditors and other stakeholders in situations of financial stress. They provide creative solutions to preserve value for creditors and for the owners of the business, while also being the first choice firm in Luxembourg for insolvency work, including litigation, as well as involuntary reorganisation proceedings, including those involving foreign jurisdictions.
- Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions: The team advises clients on all types of domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, complex multi-jurisdictional corporate restructurings, change of control transactions including tender and exchange offers, going private transactions, acquisitions and disposals of subsidiaries, divisions and assets, joint ventures, strategic alliances, recapitalisations and liquidations.
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution: The team has experience in representing domestic and international clients at all levels of the Luxembourg civil, commercial, arbitration and criminal courts, including commercial, corporate litigation, white- collar, financial and corporate crime, asset tracing and insurance litigation.
- Employment Law, Pensions & Benefits: The team serves domestic and international institutional clients on issues ranging from appointments to terminations; contractual negotiations and work permits; business immigration and expatriation; restructurings and corporate transactions; individual and collective dismissals procedures; collective bargaining negotiations; compensation and benefits schemes; equity schemes; pension schemes; restrictive covenants; discrimination claims; industrial relations; data protection and privacy at work.
- EU Financial & Competition Law: In addition to EU and national competition law, the team advises on European banking and financial law, International and European law of the institutions and EU staff law. The firm also represents clients before the EU and Luxembourg competition authorities and courts and the CJEU.
- Finance & Capital Markets: The team provides legal, tax and regulatory advice to clients across debt and equity capital markets, derivatives and structured finance, securitisation, corporate trust and agency.
- IP, Communication & Technology: The team advises on commercial and civil law matters and assists clients in the following areas of the law: contracts, technology, media and telecommunications, intellectual property law, e-commerce, e-archiving, data protection and privacy, advertising, unfair competition and consumer protection, product regulation.
- Insurance & Reinsurance Law: The team advises insurance and reinsurance companies as well as insurance intermediaries and banks on all insurance regulatory matters, including license applications; passporting rules; the launching of new insurance products; portfolio transfers; investment rules; distribution agreements and on mergers and acquisitions involving insurance or reinsurance entities.
- Investment Management: The team advises clients on the structuring and operation of both UCITS and alternative investment structures as well as service providers for Luxembourg and offshore investment funds. The firm has developed significant experience and expertise in relation to all issues the funds and their service providers may face.
- Private Clients: The team advises wealthy families and entrepreneurs on their wealth and estate planning matters. Advice includes the appropriate use of legal structures for their wealth and investments, whether through the use of corporate vehicles and partnerships or through contractual vehicles such as insurance contracts or fiduciary agreements. The team also provides family office services and supports private clients in their philanthropic activities.
- Private Equity & Real Estate: The team advises on all aspects relating to the structuring and organisation of private equity and real estate funds, managers or advisers, as well as on their investments and transactions, including the crafting of investor co-decision rights, carried interest schemes, debt financing arrangements and capital market-related aspects, and the negotiation of purchase agreements.
- Tax Law: The team provides bespoke tax advice on all fields of taxation. The team has particular experience in the establishment of tax efficient acquisition and finance structures, VAT, transfer pricing as well as corporate reorganisations in a variety of sectors, with a special focus on the real estate, private equity and investment funds area.