Jenner & Block is a destination law firm for complex commercial litigation, important investigations and sophisticated corporate transactional work. The firm is defined by results and shared values, as well as by the clients it serves and, most importantly, the more than 500 lawyers, whose experience, professionalism and teamwork help clients achieve their goals.
Jenner & Block is also well known for its extraordinary commitment to pro bono and public service, where 100% of its lawyers provided 20+ hours of pro bono legal services in 2018, accounting for 83,190 hours of pro bono work. Acting Chair: David J. Bradford.
Jenner & Block’s litigation department differentiates itself through its deep experience and abiding commitment to excellence. With more than 400 litigators and dispute lawyers in five offices, the firm’s known reputation and trusted experience for board-level counsel, internal investigations, complex commercial disputes and arbitrations position Jenner & Block to handle its clients’ most sensitive and sizable matters. Its clients entrust the firm with the responsibility to handle their most high-profile, complex and delicate litigation matters because the firm has built a team of distinguished trial lawyers, recognized for their principled and effective advocacy, with breadth, experience and sophistication across industries and issues. The firm collaborates to bring unrivaled efficiency and experience to every dispute and to deliver results that exceed clients’ expectations. For clients as diverse as family run businesses and Fortune 100 companies, Jenner & Block often achieves pre-litigation resolutions, which accomplish client objectives quickly and cost-effectively. The firm’s best-in-class investigators are widely recognized for running complex investigations, whether industry-specific, regulatory or involving confidential issues. Jenner & Block’s approach blends preparation with a search for the truth and the clear and unbiased presentation of the facts to clients.
Recent litigation highlights
- Recovered $120 million for Olin Corporation during a federal jury trial in a high-stakes environmental insurance and contribution case involving more than a dozen manufacturing and disposal sites
- Secured a victory for Northwestern University with the dismissal of a putative class action claiming breaches of fiduciary duty and prohibited transactions related to allegedly excessive administration and investment management fees paid to service providers
- Secured a victory when a judge dismissed a lawsuit claiming that Morningstar and two subsidiaries of Prudential Financial purposely used a robo-adviser to steer investors toward more expensive funds that paid fees and kickbacks to Prudential
- Secured a victory for the Estate of novelist John Steinbeck’s widow, Elaine Steinbeck, when the court dismissed all remaining claims in a longstanding dispute between Ms. Steinbeck and the author’s biological heirs
- In the preceding three terms, the firm has argued 14 cases in the US Supreme Court prevailing in 13 of them; in the 2018 term, the firm argued three more, winning one so far
- Advised the board of United Airlines throughout an investigation and negotiations regarding the accusations that centered on a flight path between Newark, NJ and Columbia, SC; the matter was resolved with a nonprosecution agreement
- Secured a $940 million trade secrets jury verdict for client Epic Systems against Tata Consultancy in what is believed to be the largest verdict of any kind in Wisconsin and one of the largest trade secret verdicts in US history
- A victory before the US Patent Trial and Appeal Board in The Broad Institute, et al. v. The Regents of the University of California, et al., a highly watched case regarding who owns the patent for a groundbreaking gene-editing technology called CRISPR